Thursday, February 7, 2008

Kara's first plane ride

Saturday brought another adventure for Kara and I. With Auntie S’s baby shower being in Spokane, Kara and I took on the adventure of an airplane ride. We left our house at 6:45 am, met up with R, and headed up to the airport. Kara and I were attempting an over and back trip, so I just had a backpack and a diaper bag (and Kara, of course). So, I put Kara in the baby bjorn and the backpack on one shoulder and the diaper bag on the other and off we went.

We boarded early (so glad they still have early boarding for people with small children) and settled in. Unfortunately, someone had the seat next to us, so we scooted in to the window seat. I was more than a little nervous at having a businessman sitting next to us; while he was young, it was apparent that he didn’t have kids of his own. He opted not to change seats into an empty row, and there was no way I was going to attempt to move seats either.

Kara worked very hard to get smiles from everyone who looked at her, and had the flight attendant wrapped around her little finger. Those blue eyes and long eyelashes did a wonderful job of working everyone over who came near. Kara was amazing on the plane. No crying, no fussing, just giggles and smiles. Back into the Baby Bjorn she went as the plane touched down.

We arrived and Uncle P and Auntie S’s house for a visit before the shower started. Kara got in a quick nap while the rest of us got to hang out and watch Grandpa and Pat install the new TV.

Off to the shower we went. We had a great time celebrating Auntie S and Uncle P’s soon-to-be new addition to the family. They got some wonderful things and this baby is going to well dressed in Zags, Willamette, and OSU wear – not to mention the Seahawk and Patriots gear.

After the shower, Aunt Boo, Kara and I headed back to the airport to make our trip home. Since we were all on the same flight, we changed our seats to be together. While Kara was beyond exhausted, she was great on the flight home as well.

We arrived home in one piece – exhausted, but in one piece.

On a side note, while the trip was tiring, I have to say that it was rather nice to have a day one-on-one with Kara. With Toddler Tornado around, sometimes quality time with Kara doesn’t happen. When you spend a day mostly wearing your child, it’s hard not to feel a stronger bond with him/her. To be honest, I absolutely loved the excuse to wear Kara and cuddle with her most of the day. It was fabulous! She was so smiley and giggly on the plane and was fun to be around – even when we were waiting in the airports. She had so much fun bouncing up and down on my lap and studying all the faces of people around us. My favorite, however, was when she would giggle, bend at the waist and burry her face into me, snuggling up so closely. Ahhh! I miss it now as I type this.

I have to admit that Kara has grown into a delightful and mellow baby (as long as she’s well rested and well fed). I worried that she was going to be a fussy child at first; she wasn’t the happiest of newborns, but is so much fun now. She has such a fun personality and is so cuddly!

Between Grammy’s visit, her visit to Grammy, Papa, and Kaley, our trip to Aunt Boo’s, and the trip to Spokane, Kara has been held a lot in the last 4 weeks. It’s a bit of a challenge now that we’re home and back into the busyness of life because she still wants to be held a lot, but when I remember that not everything needs to be done now and the time that she wants to be held is limited, I enjoy having a cuddly and snuggly baby clinging to my arm.

1 comment:

S said...

She sounds like such a content and happy little girl! what a sweetheart!