Thursday, February 7, 2008

Adventures in Snow

We had quite an adventure in the snow. On Sunday the 27th, we headed for Ashland. I was working for the Dept. of Ed. and Grandma and the girls were going to hang out with Aunt Boo for the week.

As soon as we passed the South Salem Exit, we started to notice snow on the ground. The further south we drove, the more solid the precipitation became, and soon we were driving in a winter wonderland… kind of.

The drive was slow and slushy, so we pulled off in Roseburg for a potty stop at a McDonalds… that turned into a two-hour stop. Kara was great, but Jana had a hard time with not being able to run around and be crazy. We finally got back on the road as I-5 opened again, after being closed for 2 hours due to numerous accidents. We were not able to make it to Ashland because of the snow, so we were forced to stay in a hotel in Medford, the same hotel as my colleagues.

The first night was a challenge. Neither girl wanted to go to bed, but both were extraordinarily over-tired. Jana was in her pack-n-play and I was nursing Kara before putting her down. The next thing I know I hear, “Hi Mama” and I had a little face in mine. Apparently Jana has learned how to crawl out of the pack-n-play. So, Grandma was called and we rearranged the furniture so that Jana’s pack-n-play wasn’t near anything that she could use to help her climb out. Kara cried, Jana cried, Mama almost cried. After about an hour, we managed to get everyone in bed.

Two am rolled around and Kara started crying. In an effort to keep her from waking Jana, I quickly fed her. Unfortunately, Jana woke anyway and I got the series of “see”s. “Mama, see me.” “See Gama.” “See Dada.” “See Sissy.” After much convincing, Jana went back to sleep and I was forced to nurse Kara to sleep… again. The same process happened at the 5 am feeding. Needless to say, I was starting the week very tired.

I don’t know how she did it, but Grandma managed to hang out in the hotel rooms with both girls for the day. The girls were well rested, both getting their appropriate naps, and managed to stay sane. The second night was better, as I (I know bad Mama) opted for Kara to sleep in the bathroom where I could hear her, but she wouldn’t wake Jana. With the exception of the 2 am and 5 am feedings, sleeping was a bit better, except for when Jana couldn’t sleep and joined me in my bed. When she decided to start jumping on the bed, she went back into her pack-n-play.

We were able to escape the hotel on Tuesday, and we all enjoyed a bit more space and freedom at Aunt Boo’s and Uncle Brian’s house. The next few days were quite a bit less exciting, except for my doing a 180 in the car on the way down the hill). The girls slept better, but Kara decided the 2 am feeding was here to stay, in addition to a 5 am feeding. Ugh!

We made it back into town on Thursday night and we were all so happy to be in our own beds (and own rooms!).

No comments: