Monday, October 5, 2009

Proud Parents

Oh my goodness!!! Jana amazes us.

Today she requested to play her letter bingo game after Kara went down for her nap. So, we started playing, but she quickly lost interest. She requested to read the little books that came with it. They work on the short vowel sounds. We read the "Pets bed" book first and practiced sounding out many of the words, then practiced pointing out the same words over and over again (bed and red). Then she wanted to read the "Pig Sits" book. She opened the first page and sounded out the words. She read the first three pages to me without any help.

Holy moly!!!

I'm in awe. I know kids get bitten by the reading bug at different times, but I didn't know it could happen at 3 and 1/2.

We aren't totally surprised that she did it today because she's been practicing sounding things out and spelling things, but it's still amazing. This morning she heard me say the word "seven" and she sounded it out and then spelled it back to me. Yikes!

I'm so proud of her and so astonished!! Phew we're going to have our hands full at this rate. She still has two years before she's in Kindergarten. Yikes!

No comments: