Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Do I have a green thumb?

I'm shocked because I kill most everything. I have a beautiful rose garden, but it is by pure luck. They seem to thrive on neglect. Hee, hee.

We wanted to take this adventure into gardening for a few reasons: 1. nothing tastes better than home-grown tomatoes, 2. we want to lower our grocery bill, 3. produce is going to get grossly expensive this summer, and 4. a fun adventure with Jana.


So, here is the first round of pictures of the garden, right after I planted them.

Here is the first picture on May 13th. You can see my 7 tomato plants closest, then my pepper plants along the right side and my cucumber plants at the end. I bought them all from the farmer's market, so they were good size starts when I planted them.

Here's a shot from the other side. Tomatoes to the left, peppers along the front.

This is on May 27th, right after I planted my broccoli. I have six broccoli plants in the back. The front row, from left to right are two green bell pepper plants, then two yellow banana peppers, then 4 yellow bells, and then one red bell. At the very far right, you can see my cucumber plants that aren't doing so well.


Here are my tomatoes on the 27th too. The two on the furthest left are cherry tomatoes. In the second row from the left, the front is a Yellow Pear tomato plant and the back is my Stupice (early tomatoes). The third row front is a Willamette (supposed to be good in this weather) and back is a Roma and the last one in the middle is a Legend.

And here is my garden today.




I even have a few tomatoes already. (Good thing they can still grow in this gross gray weather.)


Yay for my somewhat green thumb!

2 comments:

Jen said...

yay for your garden!! I am now seriously considering this for next year. I have a HUGE yard and a great spot for one.

Angela said...

Congratulations on having a green thumb. Mine are still black. I haven't been adventurous enough to try gardening, but you have given me hope.