Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The joy of the fall though her eyes...

I have to admit, I've been caught up in the stress of the fall: back to school, back to work, etc., and not enjoying the time like I should.

On Sunday, we were doing yard work: cleaning gutters, raking leaves, mowing the grass, and Jana reminded us that we need to stop and enjoy every moment with these two. The joys of the everyday things need to be appreciated.

I was busy raking leaves when Jana discovered the joy of a pile of leaves. The giggles and smiles first hit me, almost making me feel ill - How could I possibly get frustrated with her? She's just enjoying a moment that needs to be enjoyed. Then I was almost brought to tears, overwhelmed by how precious this experience was. Here she was in complete and utter bliss. This was the first time she discovered how fun it is to play in the fallen leaves.

How amazing it was to rediscover this innocent and pure joy of childhood! Sure Christmas became magical again last year, but I had forgotten how magical things like this can be. Do you remember that feeling? Of being light and joyous? That feeling of overwhelming happiness. To see this look in my daughter's eyes brought those feelings back, at least for a little while (then she got stung by a bee, but that's a different story).



Sure she was filthy. The toys were covered in dirt, bark, and crushed leaves. She probably had bugs crawling on her. Did she care? Absolutely not!

Kara, unfortunately, didn't enjoy it nearly as much. She hasn't mastered walking on hills yet, so she hung out on the scooter.


Then we moved to the back yard to work in garden and they spent almost an hour sitting in or climbing in and out of the wagon - together or individually.




The day ended with another great joy that we overlook.

The joy of the first experience with Jello.

No comments: