Monday, July 21, 2008

Jana's 29 months

As this summer has progressed, it amazes us more and more just how big Jana is getting. She just has her own personality that is so unique and sweet - it makes everything so fun (and challenging at times).

One way she likes to show her personality is through putting things on...

Like her giraffe rain coat, giraffe sunglasses, and giraffe umbrella on a 90 degree day.



Or her sunglasses and her swim goggles.

If you've been around her lately, you know just how active she is. I think Uncle Patrick put it best with his comment to the effect that the only time he sees her stay in one place is when she's sleeping. With that in mind, we've been spending LOTS of time down at the pool, wearing her out. She is such a water bug and LOVES to swim.

The girls also got a special treat when Mama found a new sandbox for them and they both are enjoying it greatly.



Some days Jana is great at sharing her toys and some days... not so much. At first she thought it was great that Grandpa bought two Ewok treehouses (oh, flashbacks of my own childhood) - one for Jana and one for Kara. But then Jana wanted to play with them both. Most days, "playing together" ends up with Jana hitting Kara or pushing Kara down and Jana ends up in time out. Just a taste of the many years to come, right?

And what summer is complete without the messy watermelon-eating pictures?!?! Jana insists on eating "BIG watermelon" and making such a glorious mess.


And look at all of this hair!!! Remember how bald she was last summer?

One of Jana's favorite things to do is to go through the utensil drawer in the kitchen and pull out as many fun toys to play with as she can get before Mommy and Daddy stop her. She always seems to go for the tongs first.

Little Miss Independent on the 4th with her own sparkler. "No Mommy! Jana do it by myself."

Jana loves to get "nakedy." It's hard to keep her dressed some afternoons now that it gets so warm. But what better way to enjoy the bubble machine than being nakedy - except for socks and her Dora crocks.

And I have to say that I love this picture of the two of them. Jana has been refusing to sit in her booster seat and Kara doesn't like to sit away from the table in her high chair, so we gave this a try. In the end, we've bought another booster seat and we try to have all 4 of us sitting down to dinner together - or at least attempt it for a little while. :-)


At times I wonder if we're going to make it through the terrible twos - little miss sassy-pants can really push our buttons, but I guess that's what you get when you have two head-strong, stubborn, and opinionated parents. She comes by it naturally.

Her favorite saying when I say no to something is still, "Yes Mommy, you can."

Some of the memorable comments coming out of her mouth lately are:

(to Mama) "Whatcha doing my friend?"

(when you ask her to do something) "No way!"

(anytime I look like I'm leaving the house) "Going to swim class, Mommy? I go to swim class, too."

(to 4 month old cousin) "Whatcha doing my little friend?"

(to Uncle Patrick) "Whatcha doing big guy?"

And yesterday, when sharing with someone that I couldn't believe how big Jana is and it makes me a bit sad, she came over to me, sat in my lap facing me, saying, "Mommy, are you sad? I cuddle you and you be happy. Okay?" Gulp, sniffle, sniffle. Thanks for showing just how big you really are my wonderful not-so-baby girl!

No comments: